Skip to content
TEN Brief Ten verified stories a day 2026.08.22 KO

이 기사는 한국어로도 읽을 수 있습니다 →

Issues · 4 min read · Breaking

Was Korea's Supreme Court nomination agreed in advance? The presidential office says no

On August 21, 2026, the presidential office called the written Supreme Court nomination unprecedented and denied that any prior agreement was made.

A sunlit government plaza with pale stone paving and a colonnade, trees along the edges

The three lines

  • The dispute moved — three days ago the question was whether writing was acceptable; now the two sides disagree on whether any consultation happened
  • Presidential office — general matters of appointment were discussed, but the written procedure itself was never agreed
  • Ruling party — under new leader Kim Min-seok, the Democrats demanded action on a bill abolishing the National Court Administration

Key questions

Where does Korea's Supreme Court nomination row stand?
A second layer has been added to it. When Chief Justice Cho Hee-dae nominated two judges — Son Bong-gi of Daegu District Court and Kim Sung-soo of Seoul High Court — in writing on August 18, 2026, the argument was whether breaking the in-person convention mattered. Then the National Court Administration said the written method had been agreed with the presidential office in advance. On August 21, senior presidential policy secretary Sung Tae-yoon said in a briefing that this was not true at all. So before anyone can argue about whether the procedure was appropriate, the two sides now disagree about what actually happened.
What is the National Court Administration and why abolish it?
It is the body that runs judicial administration for the Supreme Court: judges' assignments and postings, court budgets, and judicial policy. It does not hear cases; it manages the people who do. The ruling party's reasoning is structural. Abolishing it and replacing it with a judicial administration commission would break up the concentration of appointment power over judges in the hands of one person, the chief justice. The relevant bill is already pending in the National Assembly's Legislation and Judiciary Committee, and the party demanded on August 21 that deliberation begin. Unlike calls for the chief justice to resign or be impeached, this changes the powers of the office rather than its occupant.
So what happens to the appointments?
It is not settled. Article 104(2) of Korea's constitution provides that Supreme Court justices are appointed by the president, on the nomination of the chief justice, with the consent of the National Assembly. The next step is for the president to send a consent motion to the Assembly, and as of August 21 no decision on that had been announced within the range this page checked. The seat left by former Justice Roh Tae-ak has been vacant since March 2026, and Justice Lee Heung-gu retires on September 7. Even if the motion goes today, confirmation hearings and a floor vote normally take more than a month. This page covered the nomination itself on August 21 in 'Supreme Court nomination in writing.'

Three days ago the question was whether a nomination could be sent in writing.

On August 21 the question changed. Was there a consultation at all? The two sides are describing different events.

1. What was said on August 21

SpeakerStatement
Presidential office (Sung Tae-yoon)"An unprecedented situation in constitutional history, departing from established convention and pattern"
Presidential officeGeneral matters of Supreme Court appointment were discussed, but specific procedures such as written nomination were "never consulted on at all"
Presidential office"A one-way notice that bypassed consultation and did not respect the president's appointment power"
National Court AdministrationThe written method had been agreed with the presidential office in advance

These cannot both be right. One side says there was an agreement; the other says there was no such consultation.

This page has no material with which to settle it. No minutes, no call records, no third-party account has been published. So both statements are printed as given.

One nuance is worth flagging. The presidential office conceded that "general matters relating to Supreme Court appointments were discussed." That leaves open the possibility that the two sides are not describing opposite events so much as disagreeing about what counts as consultation. Whether the court administration's "agreement" referred to the written method itself or to something else, such as timing, is not established in any material located.

2. The argument has moved twice in three days

DateThe question
Aug 18Was it appropriate to break the in-person convention and send it in writing?
Aug 19Court administration says it was agreed → a factual dispute opens
Aug 21Presidential office says that is untrue → ruling party pushes to abolish the court administration

Why this shift matters: the August 18 question was a matter of judgement. Article 104(2) of the constitution says only that justices are appointed by the president on the chief justice's nomination with the Assembly's consent. Neither the constitution nor the Court Organisation Act prescribes a method. A written nomination is therefore not unlawful, leaving only the question of whether it was appropriate.

The August 21 question is a matter of fact. Either a consultation happened or it did not. Judgements can differ; the fact cannot. Until this is resolved, the next step is hard to take.

3. What the ruling party reached for is an institution, not a person

The Democratic Party's pressure runs on two tracks.

TrackTargetContent
PersonalChief Justice Cho Hee-daecalls to resign; impeachment raised
InstitutionalNational Court Administrationdemand to begin deliberation on a bill abolishing it

New party leader Kim Min-seok and his leadership used blunt language about the chief justice at their first public supreme council meeting. This page covered the leadership race that produced him in "Democratic Party convention, August 17."

The weight, though, sits on the second track.

The National Court Administration runs judicial administration for the Supreme Court. Judges' assignments and postings, court budgets and judicial policy are decided there. It does not hear cases; it manages the people who do.

Abolishing it and replacing it with a judicial administration commission would break up the concentration of appointment power over judges in the hands of the chief justice alone. The bill is already pending in the Legislation and Judiciary Committee, and on August 21 the party demanded deliberation begin.

Resignation or impeachment changes a person. This changes what the office can do — it leaves a result regardless of who holds the post.

4. What gets decided next

StepStatus
Chief justice's nominationdone (August 18, in writing)
President sends consent motion to the Assemblyundecided
Confirmation hearingspending
Floor votepending (majority of a quorum of members present)

The process is stalled at the second row. Nothing proceeds until the president sends the consent motion, and as of August 21 no decision had been announced.

Time is the pressure. The seat vacated by former Justice Roh Tae-ak has been empty since March 2026, and Justice Lee Heung-gu retires on September 7. Even if the motion went to the Assembly immediately, hearings and a vote take more than a month — so after September 7 two seats would be vacant at once.

Korea's Supreme Court hears its most significant cases in a Grand Bench composed of all justices, with quorum requirements attached. Prolonged vacancies affect case handling. Exactly when and how that begins to bite, this page has not established.

5. What is unresolved

  • Whether consultation happened — directly disputed, printed as both accounts.
  • What "agreement" referred to — the written method or something else; not distinguished in available material.
  • The consent motion — no decision announced as of August 21.
  • The bill — its text and schedule were not verified against the original document.
  • Effect of vacancies — when Grand Bench operations are actually impaired was not established.
  • What to watch next — September 7, when Justice Lee Heung-gu retires. Whether the consent motion reaches the National Assembly before then is the next fork in this dispute.

Sources

  1. Hankyung — Presidential office: there was no consultation at all on the written nomination
  2. Herald Economy — Breaking: presidential office calls written nomination an unprecedented one-way notice
  3. Sisa Journal — Presidential office rejects court administration's claim of prior agreement
  4. Korea NGO News — Presidential office calls it an unprecedented one-way notice; Democrats press to abolish the court administration
  5. Hankook Ilbo — Democrats erupt at the chief justice as the court administration says the method was agreed
  6. Digital Times — Presidential office: no prior consultation, and the president's appointment power was not respected
  7. Hankook Ilbo — The nomination power on trial: courts wary of a second round of judicial reform

Verification

Published
Last modified
Cross-check
Checked against 7 independent sources.
Unverified
  • Whether a consultation took place is directly disputed. This page has no material with which to determine which account is correct, and prints both
  • It is not clear whether what the court administration called an agreement referred to the written method itself or to some other matter such as timing
  • Whether the president will send a consent motion to the National Assembly had not been announced as of August 21
  • The text and legislative schedule of the bill abolishing the National Court Administration were not verified against the original document
Authoring
Reviewed by a person before publication. The full process is described in the Editorial.

Ten stories, once each morning

We send the three-line summaries only; the full pieces stay on the site. One-click unsubscribe, any time.

Related